My Name Was Changed. How Do I Update My Voter Registration?
On the voter registration form there is a place to fill in your previous registration information.
- You will fill out the form as if it were your first time doing so,
- Where it asks you to put in your old information, you would put in your previous name on the line for Former Legal Name.
- Sign, date and return to the Board of Elections in-person or by mail
It’s Past The Registration Deadline And My Name Changed. Now What?
If you are already registered and have not moved out of your current precinct
- You may show proof of a legal name change to a precinct election official—such as a marriage license or a court order that includes the elector’s current and prior names
- You will need to complete and sign a notice of change of name at the polling location and you may then cast a regular ballot
If you changed your name and moved out of the precinct you were registered in or do not bring a marriage license or a court order that includes the elector’s current and prior names.
- You will be required to vote a provisional ballot. This will update both an address and/or name change.